Friday, April 29, 2011

The gift horse

My water bill arrived today claiming boldly that I have consumed -28 cubic metres of water in the past two months. I am curious as to how this is possible, and I will attempt to get more information. The amount due is showing as -$72.66. I wonder if they hold onto it for next time, or if they put it back into the account from which it was directly withdrawn.

I like the last line on the statement a lot: Credit Balance - Do not pay.

You will receive a bill every two months. Every effort is made to read your meter three times a year but you may not always receive three based on actual reads in a year. Bills based on estimates are calculated on previous seasonal water usage and do not take into account a change of ownership/occupancy or weather fluctuations from year to year. The City reserves the right to correct billing errors at any time.

Update, May 2:
I called and asked. They can't put it back. They will hold it against a future bill.