Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Down with the ship

I tried to call in sick on Monday. My mind is still very active, but my body wasn't working quite right. I was due back at the hospital for an insulin pump adjustment, and I had to leave a sick child at home alone to attend it. One thing I have noticed recently is that stress and fatigue serve to sharpen my judgement, rather than cloud or obscure it.

The Blackberry kept buzzing. So I overrode my better judgement and went into the office on Tuesday, and sent the child back to school. I was on my way back home by 1 pm. I booked myself a massage appointment. Work insurance pays for it. That, and paid sick days, are just two of many compelling reasons to stay employed there.

The Blackberry had other ideas, and by 1 pm, I had the laptop back on, and I could not get to my appointment. Work is really challenging these days. While the company itself appears healthy, the work problems I am facing are hard to solve on a good day. We are understaffed, and creative solutions can only stretch my team so far, resulting in a lot of anger, disappointment, passive aggression, and blatant resentment. I am torn. It pays well.