Saturday, February 5, 2011

Economics 101

When it looked like there might have been a bit of a buffer in the February section of my financial planning spreadsheet, I offered to take the children out for dim sum to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Later that same day, I fielded an unplanned lunch order expense for my eldest. It is usually a shared expense, but that's for another blog. It happens.

The lunch order came in around $150 (for milk, pizza, and Mazzola), unbudgeted, on January 27, with "Here's the form, Mom, it's due tomorrow." In paying it, I lost the buffer.

I am gently but firmly reminded of the difference between savings and loans. The buffer itself is a fictional concept at this point in time. The bank calls it overdraft protection.

My recovery plan was fairly simple. Food Basics now carries Chinese dumplings for approximately $2. One package makes a meal for three of us, and we had tried them once before to rave reviews by the children. They could make for a nice celebration at home, and a reasonable compromise. I bought three packages of jiaozi and froze them.

Then came the Lucky Money. Both kids received red envelopes by mail this week, from my sister and my parents. Total: $40. I told them that I'd still be happy to make them their dumplings, but they now had enough to pay for the dim sum, if they preferred that option.

The youngest handed me both of her tens immediately, and reached for her coat.

The eldest really stewed over the decision:
  • "That's a LOT of money, Mom."
  • "Well then I get ALL the change, Mom."
  • "You need to pay for your own, Mom. This is OUR money."
So we agreed that she would get the change, and I would not pay for my own meal. She held her tens close to her chest right up until we had parked the car next to the restaurant.

The meal came in at $35.03, before tip. We paid with cash, not Visa: lesson learned.