Sunday, January 30, 2011

Focus on February

Even with the second bonus from work now sitting safely in my chequing account, the Excel spreadsheet I use to plan and track expenses running through this account just gobbled it up. All of it will disappear in February, with none leftover for the line of credit.

Of this I am nearly certain, the in-house supply of wine and coffee can be rationed to last the month. I share both freely with the daycare provider. I have tamed this expense considerably since I started buying both items in larger quantities a few months ago, with fewer impulse trips to both stores and much less wine consumed when I go out.

SAQ Depot in Hull further discounts wine by 15% with every twelve bottles purchased. Bridgehead gives me a free pound of coffee based on the number of stamps I accrue on their customer loyalty card.

The following self-imposed restrictions from January must carry over:
  • electronics, including anything sold through the iTunes store
  • services related to hair and foot care
  • sporting goods and events
  • clothing and shoes
  • out-of-town travel/vacation (no advance bookings for hotels or camp sites)
  • parking
In the foot care camp, I've recently acquired a bottle of fairly glamourous nail polish for $2 (marked down from $12) and a foot file for $3. Paying closer attention to my feet takes time I often don't have, but I will try and find a few minutes every day. The vaseline and socks trick at night works wonders too. A proper pedicure can wait until spring, hopefully.

Cosmo magazine says that big bangs are back big. I've boldly trimmed them up again.

Keeping away from the iTunes store is harder. I might pick up a fixed-amount iTunes gift card for myself to budget and restrict my purchases that way.

Thankfully, February will be a short month. It always is.