Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Focus on the positive

My first batch of restricted stock options from my current employer will vest in ten days. The work bonus program also pays out this week: only two more sleeps until then.

The temptation to immediately apply both to a cottage down payment is overwhelming, but... it is not the quickest path to owning the cottage/land outright! I've done the math.

The interest rate on my Line of Credit still hovers around 6%. I also need to do more homework on the actual costs of property ownership outside my home province, before I firmly commit to buy.

Tech stock is by nature a wild card, even on a good day; the analysts currently expect this one to increase in value by approximately 25% over the coming year.

Land value is not expected to significantly change during this period. I considered it.

I plan to hold the stock, and I will apply the bulk of the bonus to the credit line debt.

As for the rest of the bonus, I will be getting new eyeglasses (including progressive lenses and new frames), but I am not ready to fix my broken tail light quite yet.