Monday, January 17, 2011

List of banned expenses for the rest of January

It's an experimental post. Writing it down helps. The aim is reducing my next Visa bill.

For the next two weeks, I will not spend money on any of the following goods or services:
  • electronics, including anything sold through the iTunes store
  • services related to hair and foot care
  • sporting goods and events
  • clothing and shoes
  • out-of-town travel/vacation (no advance bookings for hotels or camp sites)
  • parking
Seemingly random, this list is compiled from a detailed analysis of how I actually spent money in 2010. Temporary cutbacks in these specific areas can make a difference.

Update: January 18. (One day later.)
I just registered for a 10K run in May at a cost of $50. On the plus side, my new glasses were $85 cheaper than I expected them to be. I'll be good tomorrow. Maybe.


Update: January 28.
Visa statement date is today, with a balance of 2054.87 owing. This is progress.