Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pay it forward

My first stop today was Food Basics to stock up on dry goods and non-perishable items for the Christmas hampers. The shopping carts lock together to keep them from straying too far. Pocket change releases them. My lone cart already had a quarter in it, which saved me a bit of foraging time. I decided the coin was not mine to take and left the cart unlocked.

It's not like I need an excuse to wander into Mountain Equipment Coop on a Saturday morning, but when I heard my friend Danielle will be returning to Ethiopia in a few weeks time, I wanted to send something with her for the children she meets along the way. Power rationing, outages, and interruption without warning are common practice as decreasing supply struggles keep up with increasing demand. 25 turtle lights pack very small: $100.