Friday, May 27, 2011

Car maintenance

Today it's raining hard; I'm working from home. It's Visa statement day. I've been holding back on a few non-pressing items to do with my car to defer the expense. I don't use it much during the week now. The change of seasons put my bike firmly back on the road.

It's a good day to have my snow tires switched back to the regular set. They are all on rims, which initially cost a lot, but I get it back in economies of time and I think it reduces overall labour costs. The mechanic is my friend's uncle. That's how I found him. Well, that and an unsolicited recommendation from a former co-worker who also uses his services.

He doesn't know that I know any of his relatives. He's just really nice. He decided not charge me to switch them over this year; it usually costs around $50 which includes tire storage. He did tell me that he pulled a nail from one of the tires and repaired it for me.

He advised me to keep an eye on the tire for pressure changes. He also pointed out that I've got one season left on the summer tires. Odds are good I'll buy the next set from him!

I don't drive much at night, so it hasn't bothered me that the passenger headlight burnt out a few months back. I had it replaced at the Kia dealership this morning at a cost of $65.74 on my way home. That seems like a lot to me. On the bright side, they were quick too.

I ran my gas tank down to empty last weekend, but did not need to refuel it with bike commuting all week. I stopped on the way back from the dealership: $60.11 for that!